There are many sewing machines and sergers on the market at a large range of price points, but not all of them are created equally. Choosing the right sewing machine for your project can be the difference in a perfectly executed project and a project that is a complete flop. Here is a list of ten of the best sewing machines in 2018. Don’t have time to read everything? Use the handy comparison table for a quick view.
Our List of The Best Sewing Machines in 2019
|Sewing Machine||Model Name||Our Rating||Price|
The 10 Best Sewing Machines: Reviews, Pros, Cons
Brother CS6000i Sewing Machine – The Best Machine for Your Button Projects — $
This machine is user-friendly and portable. It is packed with features and comes with a quick start guide and a complete user’s manual. Featuring 60 stitches and 19 accessories, this sewing machine was designed to handle many different sewing projects including quilting, crafting, and sewing. It comes with a hard case for storage and transport. The sewing machine has a back-lit LCD screen that lets you easily and quickly choose between stitches and other options. It features a brightly lit sewing area as well as a free-arm that lets you easily sew round items.
One of the most impressive features of this sewing machine is the automatic buttonhole sizing feature. The Brother CS6000i has seven styles of buttonhole stitching. All of them are one-step, making your button projects easier than ever. The machine also stitches up to 1,300 stitches per minute.
- It has one-step automatic buttonhole sizing with seven styles.
- It has a detachable over-sized table for larger projects.
- The sewing machine has an adjustable sewing speed control.
- It doesn’t do embroidery.
- It’s isn’t for beginners. Many reviewers have had some difficulty with learning how to operate the machine.
There are some complaints that the tension doesn’t work properly on many of the machines. Another thing to consider is that many reviewers have stated that this machine does not work well with generic accessories. It is best used with Brother brand accessories.
Brother 1034DX 3/4 Serger – The Best Serger for Multiple Tasks — $$
Brother doesn’t only have great sewing machines. They also offer great Sergers and the Brother 1034DX is one of the best that you can buy. It offers a lot of features but is also considered as easy to use, making it great for beginners. This Serger produces beautifully finished edges that give even the most basic garment a professionally-made look.
The serger has 3 or 4 thread capability. It has the capability to perform eight different stitches with the included presser feet. You can also create beautiful decorative stitching and gathers with this serger. It comes with all the accessories you need to get started, an instructional DVD and a user’s manual.
- It has a differential feed that allows it to easily stitch on stretchy fabric.
- The serger has a detachable arm.
- It is color and number coded for ease of use.
- The machine doesn’t come with the best directions.
- It doesn’t have chain stitch or cover stitch.
There were some reviews saying that the Brother 1034DX serger is loud when compared to other Sergers. If you are a person who likes a quiet workspace, this may be something that you want to consider before purchasing this serger. If this doesn’t bother you, then this serger could be a great choice for your finishing needs.
Singer 4423 Heavy Duty Sewing Machine – The Best Choice for a Heavy Workload — $
If you have a heavy-duty project and thick fabric to stitch, this is a great sewing machine for the job. With a 60% stronger motor than Singer’s standard machines and a sewing speed of up to 1,100 stitches per minute, this is a perfect choice for powering through the toughest sewing jobs. This sewing machine can also be used on lighter jobs because it has an adjustable pressure foot pressure control.
The machine features 23 stitches and 12 included accessories. It features a lit work area for easy viewing and a free-arm for ease of use. The built-in needle threader is another feature that promotes easy viewing. Overall it is a sturdy piece of equipment that will get the job done right.
- The machine is made with a heavy duty metal frame for extra durability.
- The pressure foot pressure control makes this machine suitable for many fabric types.
- The bobbin is a top-drop in and has a clear cover so you can easily monitor it.
- The warranty that covers defects is only 90 days long.
- It doesn’t have very many stitches.
Please note that this machine (like most Singer machines) is not suitable for use outside of North America because the power supply can cause damage when used in other countries. Besides this small set-back, this is a great sewing machine to use for all your projects.
Singer Stylist 7258 Computerized Sewing Machine – The Best Choice for Creativity — $
If you are looking for a machine that supports every one of your creative desires, then this may be the sewing machine for you. This sewing machine features an impressive 100 stitches for just about any sewing or decorating task you may need. It has an LCD display and a push button that easily lets you choose the desired stitch.
The machine is programmable and many features are automatic. One such example is that the machine automatically sets the ideal stitch width, length, and tension depending on the stitch that you choose. You can also program the maximum speed of the machine so that you won’t exceed the maximum speed for your project.
- The machine has a start/stop button so you don’t have to use the foot control if you don’t want to.
- It has a programmable needle–you can program it to stop in or out of the fabric each time you stop sewing.
- The machine has a high-pressure foot lifter so you can easily fit thicker fabrics under it.
- The machine can be noisy at times.
This machine doesn’t have many bad reviews, but the ones that it has are mostly the same–problems with the bobbin. Singer usually has a decent limited warranty, so this could possibly put you at ease about any bobbin problems.
Brother SE600 Computerized Sewing Machine – The Best Sewing Machine for Serious Designing — $$$
Here is another top quality Brother machine. This computerized sewing machine is also capable of beautifully executed embroidery in a 4″ x 4″ area (10.16 cm x 10.16 cm) and features 80 pre-programmed embroidery designs. The machine has a 3.7″ (9.4 cm) full-color touchscreen LCD screen that allows you to see and customize your embroidery design before executing it. The machine also has 6 embroidery lettering fonts so you can customize text.
Besides embroidery, the Brother SE600 has other features that make it desirable. The machine has automatic needle threading and a very brightly lit work area. With this machine, you won’t have to struggle to see the tiny eye of the needle. The machine has a free-arm for cuffs and more, and it has a jam-resistant, top drop-in bobbin. The sewing machine comes with 27 accessories and a dust cover.
- The machine features a USB port that will allow you to upload your own embroidery designs.
- The touchscreen display allows you to change, move, or reorganize your design with a touch.
- It comes with seven different presser feet to give you more feeding options.
- The machine is very heavy compared to others.
- The embroidery area is very small.
With so many features and options, it makes sense that the machine is a bit on the heavier side and larger side. If you consider this machine, just make sure you have enough space to accommodate 21.2″ x 15.5″ x 16.5″ (53.8 cm x 39.4 cm x 42 cm).
Singer Quantum Stylist 9960 Sewing Machine – The Best Machine for Advanced Designing without Breaking the Bank — $$$
If you need a powerful machine but don’t necessarily need it to do embroidery, this is an excellent choice. The Singer Quantum Stylist 9960 Computerized Sewing Machine has 600 built-in stitches–you could basically stitch any and everything with this machine. It also features five built-in fonts for lettering. With options such as mirror-imaging and stitch elongation, you can customize your designs and projects even more.
The Singer Quantum Stylist 9960 has a large number of attractive features besides the vast amount of stitches. The machine comes with an extension table, a built-in thread cutter, and a speed control option so that you can have the precise speed needed for any project. The built-in needle threader saves strain on your eyes. It comes with 22 accessories including 13 presser feet.
- The sewing machine has thirteen automatic 1-step buttonhole stitches with an exclusive underplate for buttons.
- It is made with a heavy-duty metal frame for extreme durability.
- The machine has twenty-five various needle positions.
- The brightness control for the LCD display is near the bobbin winder. This makes it easy to get the two controls confused.
- The letter sizing can’t be changed and they are small.
This is an excellent machine and it doesn’t really have very many cons or bad reviews. In my opinion, a sewing machine with this many features just seems incomplete without being able to do embroidery, but if you don’t do embroidery then that won’t matter much for you.
Singer 4411 Heavy Duty Sewing Machine – The Best Machine for Sewing Any Fabric — $
If the most important feature you need is to be able to sew any type of fabric without worries, then the Singer 4411 Heavy Duty Sewing Machine should be at the top of your list of choices. This workhorse features a heavy duty interior metal frame and stainless steel bed plate for superior quality and durability. It also has a powerful motor that is 60% more powerful than standard motors.
While this machine doesn’t boast a lot of different design and stitch options, it does what it does very well. It features one 4-step buttonhole stitch. It comes with twelve accessories including four presser feet and a dust cover. The Singer 4411 also features an adjustable presser foot pressure control and a free arm for sewing cuffs and more.
- The sewing machine can sew up to 1,100 stitches per minute.
- The powerful motor gives needles extra piercing power to go through any fabric easily.
- The sewing machine has a top drop-in bobbin for ease of access and vision.
- It doesn’t have an automatic needle threader.
- It has very few stitches to choose from.
It is important to note that this sewing machine doesn’t come with a lot of advanced features. If you are looking for a large number of features, accessories, or design options, this may not be the right choice for you. However, if you want durability and the ability to handle heavy-duty workloads, then the Singer 4411 is a great choice.
Brother CS5055PRW – Limited Edition Project Runway Sewing Machine — $
This is a limited edition sewing machine that has great design potential. The Brother CS5055PRW Project Runway sewing machine will make you think that you are creating a runway masterpiece in the Project Runway sewing room. It helps to make your project go by smoothly with automatic threading, a super bright work area, and a quick set top-load bobbin. The machine features an LCD screen and a chart that displays each of the 50 stitches to make it easy to select the perfect stitch. Besides 50 stitches, the machine also has 87 stitch functions to give you further versatility in your sewing projects.
- The sewing machine has a vertical spool pin. Usually found on more expensive sewing machines, this allows for more consistent feeding.
- You have the option of doing 5 one-step, custom sized buttonhole stitches.
- The sewing machine features a drop feed for free-motion quilting.
- It doesn’t come with a dust cover.
- It isn’t as advanced as you would expect from a sewing machine with the Project Runway name.
There have been a lot of reviews that say that this machine isn’t good for heavy duty use. If you are a professional seamstress or if you sew frequently, this may not be the right sewing machine for you. Despite this, overall, this sewing machine is a good option for someone who wants a lot of design options while still on a budget.
Brother CX155LA Limited Edition Laura Ashley Sewing Machine – The Best Sewing Machine for Young, Emerging Designers — $$
Here is another limited edition sewing machine that can help to expand your design potential. The Brother CX155LA Laura Ashley sewing machine comes with a variety of accessories and features that can take your sewing projects to the next level. It features 100 built-in stitches and 55 alphanumeric stitches for lettering. The machine has a jam-resistant quick set, top drop-in bobbin with a clear case for easy viewing and an extra-wide work area for larger projects. A back-lit LCD screen makes it easy to choose your desired stitch.
Variable speed control and a start/stop button let you create your project at a pace that is comfortable for you. The Brother CX155LA also uses a 7-point feed dog for smoother fabric feeding. For a machine at this price point, it comes with an amazing number of accessories. It has over 20 accessories including 11 presser feet. An instruction manual and DVD also comes with the machine. The attractive front decoration makes it stand out from other machines.
The extra wide work table makes it easy to stabilize larger projects.
- The sewing machine has 8 one-step buttonhole stitches.
- It has a one-button automatic threader so that you don’t have to strain your eyes.
- The machine is very lightweight so it is easy to transport/carry.
- There have been reviews that when oiled, the machine emits a smelly odor.
This limited edition Laura Ashley sewing machine is similar to the limited edition Project Runway sewing machine in that it isn’t good for heavy-duty use. For professional use or constant use, you may be better off with a different option.
Singer Simple 3232 Portable Sewing Machine – The Best Sewing Machine for Beginners — $
As the name suggests, this is a simple sewing machine but the results are big. It is durable due to the heavy-duty metal frame but still lightweight for easy transport. It features a high presser foot lifter so you can sew thicker fabrics or multiple layers of fabric with ease. The sewing machine also has a lighted work area and 32 built-in stitches.
This is a great sewing machine for beginners because it is easy to use. It comes with 9 accessories and 4 presser feet as well as a dust cover. There is also an easy to follow instructions manual included.
- The machine has an automatic needle threader making it simple to thread the needle.
- It has adjustable stitch widths and lengths to prevent fabric from bunching.
- It has a free-arm for sewing cuffs, collars, and more.
- It can be a little tricky to adjust the width of the stitch.
If you are looking for a simple machine for basic home projects, this is a great sewing machine that you should consider. It’s lightweight, durable, and has the basic features and accessories you need. Most of all, it’s at a great affordable price range that could fit any budget.
Do I need sewing machine oil?
Sewing machine oil is a great tool to have because it helps to reduce friction on the moving parts. This makes them last longer.
Why do my needles keep breaking?
One possibility is that you are pulling the fabric while sewing. Another possibility is that the fabric is too thick for the needle.
What is a sewing stabilizer?
This holds the fabric flat and tight to make sewing easier.
If a sewing machine cost more does that make it better than one that is less?
Not necessarily. While machines with more features and accessories generally cost more, it doesn’t mean that it is better for your purposes.
Sewing machines and sergers are two of the best machines ever made because they make life easier for people who like to make things. You don’t have to sew by hand anymore (unless you choose to) and they are now being made small enough to fit into your pocket. The advancement of technology has aided in the addition of amazing features that allow people to be more creative and precise than ever before when sewing. Sewing machines have more stitches than ever and fully integrated, advanced computerized options to make sewing (especially professional sewing) easier than ever.